Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Starting Line--Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon Virginia Beach

Amy & I signed up for the Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon Virginia Beach on Sunday night. The race is September 6, 2009 and my training began yesterday, June 1st. We have set our goal as completion of the race...we will run as we can and walk the rest in order to complete the 13.1 mile course which will be a great victory for both of us.
It is supposed to be an awesome race and we are so excited. Setting this goal has given me the extra push I needed to get active and get in shape. I look forward to the many benefits from this. Sitting in an office for the past 8 years has taken its toll on me as I have gained almost 100 pounds since graduating from college. I was very thin when I graduated from college, thanks to a great metabolism, which now means i have to work that much harder to reach my goal. It is amazing what happens when an office chair gets in the way of your metabolism. My goal through all of this is to get in shape. I never thought i would be embarrassed to take off my shirt in public, but I am. I never thought i would have to worry about whether i would be able to keep up with my son as he grew up, but i am worried.
Yesterday, I started on a path to getting healthy and happy. I am not going to fall into the same trap that i have before...I normally start out sprinting with regards to exercise and diet and go strong for week or two and then I give up. This time I am going with the slow & steady approach. I will eat better, drink less Coke, exercise more...this time I will succeed.
I am so lucky to have such a supportive wife who will be helping me along the way. We will start this race together and end this race together. Thank you Amy for being there for me.
Stay tuned for updates as we continue working towards our goals and The Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon.

1 comment:

  1. Need a post about your 4 mi run! I'm so proud of both of you. I've never run 4 miles.

    ReplyDelete